St Albans Clock Tower

About St Albans Clock Tower

The Clock Tower is the only medieval town belfry in England.

The Clock Tower was built in 1405, as confirmed by recent dendrochronological testing of the timbers in the floors.

The plot was vacant in 1403 as a deed conveys the land from Alice, relict of Ralph att Lee to Geoffrey Fylynden.

In 1412 a deed refers to the tower as the “le Clokkehouse”.

The town’s people engaged THOMAS WOLVEY, formerly the Royal Mason, to build the Clock House for them.

In 1427 the Clock Tower was passed over ...

Show the whole text

Market Place, St Albans
St Albans

St Albans Clock Tower's previous events